Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Garamond
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion  (Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat wrote:
> Given that the cygwin version is currently labeled as not ready for
> production I would say you are right. The truth is that many will never
> declare win32 good for production simply because of the OS it runs on,
> but we still want to make it as solid as possible.

People _do_ use postgresql+cygwin in production environments though (see
the pgsql-cygwin archive).

And I suspect people _will_ use 7.5 for win32 in production, despite the
release notes and the website clearly saying it's not production ready. Why?

1) The version number is "7.5" and many people will presume the ports
are more or less equal in quality/maturity since they have the same
version number;

2) People don't read release notes. See the various reviews on the
recently released Fedora Core 2, complaining about how it doesn't
support MP3 or DVD playback, despite the [legal] issues having been
known and documented since Red Hat 8. Strangely enough, these people
(who don't read release notes) _do_ write public reviews. They will
badmouth PostgreSQL, saying it's unstable, crashes a lot, MySQL being
much much more rock solid, etc etc.

I suggest we label the win32 port as "7.5 ALPHA" or "7.5 DANGEROUS" :-)

--
dave