Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>So, yea, I am frustrated.  I know these features are hard and complex,
>but I want them for PostgreSQL, and I want them as soon as possible.  I
>guess what really bugs me is that we are so close to having these few
>remaining big features, and because they are so complex, they are taking
>a lot longer to arrive than previous features, and sometimes see a year
>pass without progress on some items, and that bugs me.

So why do we wait for some of these features? The bgwriter is done
right? Why don't we backport to
7.4.x and release with 7.4.3? What about the vacuum stuff Jan was doing?

I guess what I am saying is, what features are in HEAD that can be
backported to 7.4.x without the
requiring of an initdb?

Yes it would be breaking from the tradition of very little feature
releases in incrementals but then again
maybe that would be a good thing...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drkae