Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 17:06:18 -0400, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:

> I'll mention another perspective as a user. I'm actually happier seeing a
> relatively minor release come out just before the big changes hit. If 7.5 has
> Windows, PITR, nested transactions, etc. especially if I see they went in just
> before a feature freeze then I'm liable to wait before I suggest installing it
> in production because it makes me fear the impact these major new features
> will have on a system that's been running fine on 7.4.

7.5 has already had some significant changes made in how writes are done
to disk. If I had very valuable data to protect I would already consider
7.5 a risky upgrade (in comparison to the 7.3 to 7.4 upgrade).

If this is your situation, going to 7.4.3 and sticking with it for a while
waiting to see how 7.5 does, may be a good idea.