Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> > Well, considering we offer _nothing_ for multi-master right now, I think
>> > it is a valuable project.
>>
>> Connection pooling is *not* multi master ... it doesn't even simulate
>> multi-master ... multi-master, at least as far as I'm aware, means "no
>> point of failure", and connection pooling creates a *single* point of
>> failure ... the pgpool process dies, you've lost all connections to the
>> database ...
>
> I think people are confusing pgpool with pgcluster.

And you wonder where that's coming from, eh? Tatsuo is advertising
pgpool as a synchronous replication system suitable for failover.
Quoting from the pgpool-1.0 README:
   pgpool could be used as a replication server. This allows real-time   backuping of the database to avoid disk
failures.pgpool sends   exactly same query to each PostgreSQL servers to accomplish   replication. So pgpool can be
regardedas a "synchronous   replication server".

Don't get me wrong, as said pgpool works great for the purpose I tested,
the pooling. But statements like that are causing the confusion here.

Jan