Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mario Weilguni wrote:
>> Interesting. We have made COMPLETELY different experiences.
>>
>> There is one question people ask me daily: "When can we have
>> sychronous replication and PITR?". Performance is not a problem
>> here. People are more interested in stability and "enterprise"
>> features such as those I have mentioned above.
>

> I doubt that. Having deployed several 7.4 databases, the first
> customers ask (of course not in technical speech, but in the
> meaning) when the problem with checkpoint hogging system down is
> solved. This is a really serious issue, especially when using
> drbd + ext3. The system will become really unresponsive when
> checkpoint is running.
>
> I heavily await 7.5 because of the background writer.

This thread reminds me of Andrew Sullivan's signature:

The plural of anecdote is not data - Roger Brinner

Of course, once the sample size becomes sufficiently large, it does
become data. Has the advocacy group performed any polling in this
area that might shed some light as to what users and potential users
might want?

Mike Mascari