Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> Is it a correct assumption that this is the only time postmaster might
> drop out?

Well, there's always the possibility of a bug leading to postmaster
coredump.  Historically those have been pretty rare though.

In any case, I'm not sure that the init script is the place to be
solving these problems.  We do need some internal mechanism to protect
against a crashed or kill -9'd postmaster.