Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> If you think it's easy enough, enlighten the rest of us ;-).
> > If postgres reported PGDATA on the command line it would be easy enough.
> In ps status you mean?  I don't think we are prepared to require ps
> status functionality to let the system start up... we'd lose a number
> of supported platforms that way.

That is one downside.  A major downside.  Again, alot of work to protect
the Barney Fife's out there.

> In the case of an actual crash and restart, postgres should come back up
> without help.  However, the situation here is not a crash, it is
> incomplete admin intervention.  I don't think that expecting the admin

Is it a correct assumption that this is the only time postmaster might
drop out?

But, thanks for the clarification, as I had misunderstood what you
meant.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio