Re: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alexey Borzov
Subject Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi!

Rod Taylor wrote:
> My present theory is that most users make the decision regarding ease of
> use before even installing the software.
>
> If you look at the MySQL website within 1 or 2 clicks, you know that
> there is a gui for queries, a gui for administration, drivers or
> interfaces for many programming langauges. They have GIS, Unicode, full
> text searching, multi-master replication, ANSI compliance, etc.

> You don't learn anything about the GUIs (any of them) within the first
> couple of clicks. Since many users (even linux users) associate command
> lines with difficulty of use, the first impression is that PostgreSQL is
> difficult to use.

I think that PostgreSQL's "download" page should point to at least
* Recommended replication solution (erserver?)
* Recommended full-text search solution (tsearch?)
* Recommended GUI / web frontend (PGAdmin / phpPgAdmin)
* Drivers: ODBC, JDBC, whatever
* PostGIS
* Banners to put on the website
* A description of what to find in the contrib dir

If someone makes such a page, I'll promptly add it to the
"next-generation" site.