Re: Multiple table entries? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Multiple table entries?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 2:03 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jeff Ross <jross@wykids.org> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> heap_update is broken.  Details left as an exercise for the reader
>
>> Well, as the reader that started this all ;-) should I be worried?
>> Should I do a pg_dump and reinstall?  Roll back to 8.3.7?  Or just
>> relax, don't worry and have a sparkling adult beverage?
>
> Well, it's a pretty bad bug but as far as I can see a simple "VACUUM
> table" command should fix it up --- would you confirm?

At the very least taking regular pg_dumps is probably wise. That's
probably wise even if there aren't Postges bugs though since it's the
most flexible type of backup to deal with application bugs with.

The answer to whether you should roll back until 8.4.1 comes out will
depend on how valuable your data is, how critical the downtime to
repair any corruption would be, versus the time that you'll spend on
rolling it back. That's a complicated calculus which will be different
for every user.

The bug found should only affect recovery though. So unless you have a
standby slave database or have postgres or system crashes it shouldn't
be relevant.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf