Re: The big MySQL spin - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: The big MySQL spin
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

> JBoss is doing their customers no favors here.

Actually they are. Through this partnership they will create increased
market penetration and commmercial viability. That does their customers
a favor because it presents stability and longevity.

 From a technical perspective you are correct but in the business world
of wool suits and 300.00 ties, the technical perspective means exactly
zip. It how good the guy in that suit feels about the technology being
implemented (thus Windows for example).

The exception being companies with a long standing technical background.
Have you ever noticed that almost ALL migrations to OSS are driven by:

1. They have a large, existing UNIX installation thus they don't see a
big difference using Linux.
2. They are after cost savings.

You almost never (I never have) seen a migration that says:

We moved to Linux and PostgreSQL over MSSQL and Windows2000 because
Linux is better or PostgreSQL is bettter.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment