Re: NO WAIT ... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: NO WAIT ...
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom,

Yes, it can be dangerous. I am aware of that.
The problem with adding NO WAIT to specific commands is that is
inheritly unflexible. I think this is why the community has agreed on
implementing it based on GUC.
I have done some testing with a real world application. As far as I can
see it did not have an impact on other internals (at least not when used
cleverly).
SELECT FOR UPDATE NO WAIT should be added as well because it might be
useful to Oracle <-> compatibility.
Do you think it would help to reduce the GUCs flexibility by reducing
the lock levels a user is allowed to define?

    Best regards,

        Hans