Re: Postgress and MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Postgress and MYSQL
Date
Re: Postgress and MYSQL  (Matt Davies <matt@mattdavies.net>)
List pgsql-general
>1. Replication: Like it or not most people regard their data and access to their
>data as 'invaluable'. If not, why are they storing it. Having a secondary
>server (read slaves) on which you can perform backups, load balance RO traffic,
>and eventually use as a failover has been one of the great selling points of
>MySQL for my specific applications. I wish there were a Master-Master
>replication scheme out there, but that is not the case.

Replication exists in multiple manners for PostgreSQL. There is Mammoth
replicator (our product),
ErServer (pgsql.com's product), dbmirror, Rserv, and pgCluster.

>2. Documentation: In delving deeper into the Postgress database I have tried to
>find whatever I can to learn more. I have found an Oreilly book out there, but
>the TOC reads almost the exact same as the online documentation. I ask myself -
>have they lifted the documentation and are now trying to sell me it bound in
>book form?

I am sorry but I am the co-author of that book and I can tell you the
only thing in that
book that reads like the documentation is the reference chapter and the
appendixes.
Not to mention that PostgreSQL.Org has some of the most complete
documentation
of any software out there.

There are also several books on PostgreSQL including the O'Reilly one,
the Addison
Wesley one, the Sams one... and I think even a PTR one.

>MySQL marketing has done much to help the average database user out there feel
>like they are getting a powerful and feature-rich database. The average user
>out there is doing nothing more than address books and recipe books. They,

MySQL has what 19 million in the bank?

>I have ranted about this for a point. It is not what the seasoned 20 year UNIX
>veteran knows about a database/OS that really matters in terms of adoption - it
>is what the general mass of people  __THINKS__ matters.  They are becoming ever
>present in high levels of decision making functions. Perception is the key.

This is very true. Perception is the key.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake