Updating tables from file - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Lorenzo Thurman
Subject Updating tables from file
Date
List pgsql-novice
This is probably more a novice SQL question than a Postgres question, but I
thought I'd try here first:

I have a table with data in it that I would like to update it with similar
data in a file. The fields in both are laid out like this:
username {PK}  data1 int2 data2 int data3 int3

For each username, I want to sum the corresponding integer fields and have
the resulting data placed into a second table. How can I script this in
Postgres?

Thanks!

Lorenzo Thurman        lthurman@northwestern.edu
Tech/Cresap Lab Manager    voice: 847-467-6565
Academic Technologies    pager: 847-536-0094
Hours: 8:30a-4:30p        Office: Tech MG49