Re: Can't connect to socket in Debian distribution - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Can't connect to socket in Debian distribution
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 20:30, Tom Lane wrote:
> "KEVIN ZEMBOWER" <KZEMBOWER@jhuccp.org> writes:
> > www2:/home/kevinz# psql -W mnogosearch mnogosearch
> > Password:
> > psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "mnogosearch"
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > When I 'su mnogosearch' I can then 'psql mnogosearch' , never get asked for a password, and get into psql
immediatelyand without a problem.

> Indeed, because you haven't got it configured to use password
> authentication: you have it configured to use IDENT, which looks at the
> Unix userid you are running as.  That has to match the Postgres userid
> you are trying to connect as.

The Debian default is to use "ident sameuser" authentication.  This is
set in /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.

Do you need to connect to this database as a different user?  Why not
connect to it under your own name?

    psql -d mnogosearch

If necessary the mnogosearch user may need to grant you appropriate
privileges on the tables in that database.

As with Unix logins, it seems to me to be desirable for users to connect
as themselves, so that what one does is distinguishable from what anyone
else does, should any tracing be necessary.

     "Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made
      heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host,
      the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas,
      and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all;
      and the host of heaven worshippeth thee."
                                        Nehemiah 9:6

Attachment