Re: Re: RPMs for PHP accessing PostgreSQL via ODBC over RedHat - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris
Subject Re: Re: RPMs for PHP accessing PostgreSQL via ODBC over RedHat
Date
List pgsql-general
> > >Is it really necessary to use PHP and ODBC? PHP has a native postgresql
> > >interface I believe...
> >
> > It sounds like the postgres server is a different machine to the web
> > server, so ODBC is needed to communicate between the 2..
>
>No it isn't.  Postgres should be accessible via PHP whether it's on the
>same server or on a remote server (and Postgres is configured to allow
>remote access).  The only reason I can guess as to why ODBC is being used
>is to perhaps maintain code compatibility with the use of a different
>databse platform that the web server may have been using previously.
>
>-- Brett

I've never tried so had no idea :)

How do you configure it into PHP?

./configure --help | grep pgsql
   --with-pgsql[=DIR]      Include PostgreSQL support.  DIR is the PostgreSQL
                           base install directory, defaults to
/usr/local/pgsql.

Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net