Re: Newbie: problem Connecting to Server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From No Longer Frustrated
Subject Re: Newbie: problem Connecting to Server
Date
List pgsql-general
So others might learn from this.  The following solution was offered and
helped considerably in my case:

With an RPM install of PostgreSQL (which RedHat Database is), please consult

README.rpm-dist (find it with 'rpm -ql postgresql |grep rpm').

The short of it:

The RPM install scripts handle the user creation. All one must do is (as

root): '/sbin/service postgresql start' to get an initdb done and postmaster

started. Then edit /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf to allow access to the

client IP address, and edit postgresql.conf (in the same directory) for

tcpip_socket to be true (if you are doing TCP/IP connections, that is).

To get postgresql started automatically at boot, do (assuming you want

postgresql to run in runlevels 3, 4, and 5): '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345

postgresql on'

List the currently valid runlevels with '/sbin/chkconfig --list postgresql'

If it complains about postgresql not be a known service, execute

'/sbin/chkconfig --add postgresql' -- if that doesn't work, check to see if

the postgresql-server RPM is installed ('rpm -qa|grep postgresql').

    -No Longer Frustrated