Re: How do I tell pgAdmin 4 to not harass me with pointless extra clicks every single time I want to use it? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Mark Murawski
Subject Re: How do I tell pgAdmin 4 to not harass me with pointless extra clicks every single time I want to use it?
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 2020-09-24 04:35, Dave Page wrote:

>     Another missing feature is double click on a column header to expand
>     the
>     column to fit the data.
>

> That functionality has been there for a long time (you actually
> double-click on the right-hand vertical separator in the header).

Weird... would not have thought to double-click there.

>     Another missing feature is the little DDL window in the bottom left
>     corner so you can see DDL while also navigating around.
>

> That has been there since v1.0. The default location is the main tabset
> now, but you can drag the tab to dock it in the bottom corner.

Okay.. I ran though some more tests with this... you can drag it around,
but it either covers your workspace or it docks to the bottom or the
side.  After quite a lot of putzing around I finally got it to dock to a
corner.  I was only able to do this once.  It's now currently stuck on
either to be docked on the bottom or on the left.  It's REALLY difficult
to get it to dock in the corner.

>     Another crazy behavior is when trying to organize the layout and move
>     things like the SQL/DDL window, it's really difficult to put the SQL
>     window back into the original location where
>     Statistics/Dependencies/etc
>     is.  I wind up having to do 'reset layout' a lot.  There's just an odd
>     lag to the window managment and it also stops working when you run over
>     a window border.
>

> I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I have no problems dragging tabs
> around and re-docking panels, though admittedly I don't typically work
> on Linux clients.

By 'window border' I meant inner component window-border.  It's hard to
explain, but the docking behavior is just, very strange sometimes.  I
can try to get some specific examples.

>     It looks like Pgadmin4 must run in a browser these days.  It looks like
>     the self-contained local-web type of runtime is not available anymore.
>     For my workflow, running in a browser just doesn't work at all.
>

> Yes, unfortunately there were serious performance issues with the Qt
> browser controls used in early versions that we were unable to resolve.
> Most users that don't want to use their normal browser session will set
> a custom browser command to use a dedicated profile so it doesn't
> interfere with the default browser sessions.
>
> How does OmniDB resolve this issue for you, as that also runs in a browser?

For me Omni does not run in a browser, it has its own application window.

>     If you close the dashboard or the scratch pad there's no way to get it
>     back, unless you reset the layout.  If you wind up losing the Browser
>     window in the layout, there's no way to get it back without resetting
>     the layout.
>

> Right-click the tab bar and re-open them from the menu there.

Okay.. I to see the 'Add Panel -> Dashboard'  But it doesn't do
anything.  It opens up a blank non-functional component.
https://imgur.com/a/43RLvMy

There's also no way to re-open the scratch pad.

>     'Detach Panel' of a query console pops up a completely blank,
>     non-functional window.
>

> Can you explain more about that please? I don't understand what you mean.

When you detach a panel it also looks like this:
https://imgur.com/a/43RLvMy

> You should always be able to grab the label. Is there a case where that
> doesn't work for you?

I cannot reproduce this right now, but I was trying to drag 'SQL' and
all i was getting was a drag and drop handle, like dragging a file. It
was not interacting with the page at all.

> Ultimately I think there are a number of issue classes here:
>
> - Some are features that are there, but you haven't yet found (e.g. the
> result copy/paste format).
> - Some are features that may or may not have been in pgAdmin 3
> (actually, I think the only one that was there, was having the function
> node under the trigger node)
> - Some are simply limitations of webapps in general.

The other item is things that I've gotten used to in other apps, like
restore all query/console windows.