Re: Copyright vs Licence - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Copyright vs Licence
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/10/21 4:34 AM, Vijaykumar Jain wrote:
Hi All,

I have been playing around with the pg_auto_failover extension by citus and have really enjoyed playing chaos with it.

Now I see this at the bottom of this extension.
This may be a stupid question, but i ask coz i have worked with OSS that been marked EOL or dead.
Some software have started asking for fee (like oracle for supported java)
Some software which were completely open sourced for unlimited usage (like sensu) now have a new version which has limited/capped free usage.
Or the Google vs Oracle case.

I know I can make a city of postgresql clusters of various sharded architectures, and it will still be free and postgresql is not responsible for any damage etc i understand, but can the extensions later charge on usage model.

This project is licensed under the PostgreSQL License, see LICENSE file for details.

I have a lame query (but i have a concern wrt how oracle acquired products licenses changed)

What is the role of copyright in a license. (I am not sure if i am even framing the question correctly, but let me know if i am not).

Copyright establishes who wrote the software, and thus prevents others from copying it (substantively) verbatim and then claiming it as their own.  Only the copyright owner can license the software for someone else to use.

Can I be charged for whatever reasons in the future for using this extension.

If MSFT is the sole holder of the copyright, then they can relicense it as they see fit.  I think that they can only change the license on newer versions, so you'd be able to keep using the latest OSS version.

Of course, IANAL so take what I write with a spoonful of salt.