Re: BUG #18181: KB5031455 Update crashes PostgreSQL Server for Turkish language - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: BUG #18181: KB5031455 Update crashes PostgreSQL Server for Turkish language
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 2023-11-03 at 14:29 +0300, Koray Yavuz wrote:
> > Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> şunları yazdı (3 Kas 2023 14:03):
> > On Fri, 2023-11-03 at 09:13 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> > > I just got a new computer, installed clean Windows 11 and all updates.
> > > Before installing the KB5031455 update, I installed PostgreSQL v16. During
> > > the installation, I selected "Turkish, Turkey" as the language and it was
> > > successful, the service started working. However, after installing the
> > > KB5031455 Update, I could not start the PostgreSQL server service. There was
> > > the following error in Event Viewer:
> > >
> > > "FATAL: configuration file "C:/Program
> > > Files/PostgreSQL/16/data/postgresql.conf" contains errors"
> >
> > This is not a bug.  You added something illegal to "postgresql.conf",
> > and the server refuses to start without a valid configuration.
> > Edit the file and fix the problem.
> > The error message should give you details about what was wrong.
>
> No, i did not add anything to postgresql.conf file. Like i said before,
> there is a problem with that Windows update.

Hm.  The Windows installer is not maintained by PostgreSQL, but by
EnterpriseDB.  Perhaps one of them is on the list and can comment, but
it is not a PostgreSQL bug that the project can fix.

> I installed the update again to double check. When the update is installed,
> PostgreSQL stops and cannot be started. I saw another error message on the
> event viewer that Turkish_Türkiye.1254 (it should be Turkish_Turkey.1254)
> could not be found. As soon as I uninstall the update, the server becomes
> running again.

Well, perhaps the installer added something problematic to "postgresql.conf"?
You didn't quote the literal error message, but I'd search for "Türkiye".
Perhaps the "ü" was in a wrong encoding.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe