Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tony
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I already had in the first post I replied to,  but at the risk of sounding redundant, I'll say it again.

Stored Procedures: Sounds good in principle, but in what ways can I benefit most (I understand this now) at the time of moving to PG, I couldn't see the difference between writing my code in an a Stored Proc or an API.

Triggers: make perfect sense now, but didn't used to when I didn't know what they were.

This isn't definitive list but more o
f a flavour of the obstacles I hit when I first met PG.  If I hadn't persevered (and many may not) I'd have ended up with a PG server full of DBs designed and built as if they were on a MySQL server.

Yes, the topics are covered fleetingly in the tutorial, but do such important topics only warrant 3 pages of text between the lot of them?  It's great that the subjects are present, but it seems to be in more of a kind of "Whilst We're on the Subject of Databases" kind of passing comment.

Maybe I'm asking for the Moon on a Stick, but it didn't feel like I was :)

T.