Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.
Date
List pgsql-general
Paul Ganainm wrote:
> rwelty@averillpark.net says...
>

>>>Ditto for FB. If you want to extend the code, though, you have to give
>>>those changes back to the community - the licence is more GPL than BSD.
>

>>maybe you need to clarify what you think of when you say "extensible".
>

>>postgresql has sql extensions like "create type"; extensibility is possible
>>w/o going into the source code. it sounds like you're talking about making
>>changes to the firebird code base here.
>

> I took the "extensible" bit from the URL that I posted
>
> http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages/http://advocacy.postgresql.org
> /advantages/
>
> ------------------
> Extensible
> The source code is available to all at no charge.  If your staff have a
> need to customise or extend PostgreSQL in any way then they are able to
> do so with a minimum of effort, and with no attached costs.  This is
> complemented by the community of PostgreSQL professionals and
> enthusiasts around the globe that also actively extend PostgreSQL on a
> daily basis.
> ------------------
>
> This seemed to me to be basically a touting of the virtues of PostgreSQL
> being Open Source, which Firebird is also, but in a different way.

I think both of them is true. For me, this kind of bit sets
"extensibility" equal to "extensible by extending the source code" _and_
"extensible by using specific database infrastructure" (see the sentence
"..extend PostgreSQL in any way....")

> FB has the "CREATE DOMAIN url VARCHAR(100)" for example.

PostgreSQL adds

CREATE TYPE,
CREATE AGGREGATE,
CREATE OPERATOR,