Re: Turning on/off debugging - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gibson
Subject Re: Turning on/off debugging
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>John Gibson <gib@edgate.com> writes:
>

>>Unfortunately after I was done, I wanted to turn it off again.  I
>>commented out the lines and ran the "reload" again.  This did not have
>>any effect.
>>

>No, it wouldn't; a comment is a comment.  You'd need to change the
>entries to explicitly select the original setting.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Thank you for responding.

Unfortunately you cut out the part where I *did* explicitly try
selecting the "false" setting.

*** from the original posting ***
So, I thought it might just be a switch and set them to false and
reloaded.  This did not change it back either.  I ended up shutting down
the engine and restarting it.  Of course, that worked.
***

I assume from what you stated that setting the parameters from true to
false, then reloading "should" have turned off the debugging.

That is not the behavior I saw.  :(

Any help would be appreciated.

...john

***** full original post below ****

Hi, all.

Re: version 7.2.2

I modified the postgresql.conf file as below and got "really neat"
debugging turned on.  :)
pg_ctl reload -D <dir>

Unfortunately after I was done, I wanted to turn it off again.  I
commented out the lines and ran the "reload" again.  This did not have
any effect.  So, I thought it might just be a switch and set them to
false and reloaded.  This did not change it back either.  I ended up
shutting down the engine and restarting it.  Of course, that worked.

Any ideas on how to do it while the engine is running?

...john

*** DETAIL ***

log_timestamp = true
log_pid = true