Re: Maximum Possible Insert Performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Maximum Possible Insert Performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
William Yu wrote:

> My situation is this. We have a semi-production server where we
> pre-process data and then upload the finished data to our production
> servers. We need the fastest possible write performance. Having the DB
> go corrupt due to power loss/OS crash is acceptable because we can
> always restore from last night and re-run everything that was done since
> then.
>
> I already have fsync off. Short of buying more hardware -- which I will
> probably do anyways once I figure out whether I need more CPU, memory or
> disk -- what else can I do to max out the speed? Operation mix is about
> 50% select, 40% insert, 10% update.

Mount WAL on RAM disk. WAL is most often hit area for heavy updates/inserts. If
you spped that up, things should be pretty faster.

A non-tried advice though. Given that you can afford a crash, I would say it is
worth a try..

  Shridhar