Re: Build farm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Build farm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>I think the main value of a build farm is that we'd get nearly immediate
>feedback about the majority of simple porting problems.  Your previous
>arguments that it wouldn't smoke everything out are certainly valid ---
>but we wouldn't abandon the regression tests just because they don't
>find everything.  Immediate feedback is good because a patch can be
>fixed while it's still fresh in the author's mind.

Yes, I seem to recall seeing several instances of things like "you mean
foonix version 97 1/2 has a bad frobnitz.h?" over the last 6 months.
Having that caught early is exactly the advantage, I believe.

>I'm for it ...

I'm working on it :-)

Regarding "make distcheck" that Peter suggested I use, unless I'm
mistaken it carefully does its own configure, thus ignoring the
configure options set in the original directory. Perhaps we need either
to have the distcheck target pick up all the --with/--without and
--enable/--disable options, or to have a similar target that does that.

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew