Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeffrey Melloy wrote:

> On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 01:42  AM, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>> Do a shutdown -h on a live database machine with pg. It will
>> gracefully shut itself down.
>>
>>  Shridhar
>>
> I'm curious ... do MySQL lists talk about this as much as we do?  What
> do they say?
>
> "Well, we run Slashdot."
> "Well, we can "select count(*) faster"
> "We have all the features they do!  Nobody uses views or triggers!"

Simple question. Why do we care?

Nobody here talks about mysql on their own. Its always somebody who asks for
comparison or comment or help migrating to/from mysql etc.(Exception advocacy.
Its our job there...)

These lists are to help people who look at postgresql and do/want to use it.
Mysql discussion usually remains on periphery of being relevant. Its is
discussed because being in touch helps while doing any fair comparison.

Otherwise IMO mysql is irrelevant on any of postgresql lists. It exists, fine.
It is popular, even more fine.

In fact lately I have refused to help couple of guys who insisted on mysql. I
have better things to do than to sell postgresql/linux/<other open source
platform>. If somebody needs genuine help, they listen to polite language. If
they don't, I am off..:-)

Saves a lot of time usually..

  Shridhar