Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeffrey Melloy
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)  (Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb@eskimo.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 01:42  AM, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
>
>>> One of my friend lost data with mysql yesterday.. The machine was
>>> taken down for disk upgrade and mysql apperantly did not commit the
>>> last insert.. OK he was using myisam but still..:-)
>> It sounds like that is more a problem with improper operating
>> protocols
>> than with the underlying database.
>
> No. Problem is machine was shutdown with shutdown -h. It sends sigterm
> to everybody. A good process would flsuh the buffers to disk before
> finishing. Mysql didn't on that occasion.
>
> Transactions or not, this behaviour is unacceptable for any serious
> app.
>
>> Would PG know enough to do a commit regardless of how the database
>> was shut down?  A second question is whether doing a commit is what
>> the user or application would always want to have happen, as it could
>> result in a half-completed transaction.
>
> Do a shutdown -h on a live database machine with pg. It will
> gracefully shut itself down.
>
>  Shridhar

I'm curious ... do MySQL lists talk about this as much as we do?  What
do they say?

"Well, we run Slashdot."
"Well, we can "select count(*) faster"
"We have all the features they do!  Nobody uses views or triggers!"

Jeff