Re: Attempt at work around of int4 query won't touch int8 index ... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Attempt at work around of int4 query won't touch int8 index ...
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10 Sep 2003 at 22:44, Tom Lane wrote:

> James Robinson <jlrobins@socialserve.com> writes:
> > Is this just a dead end, or is there some variation of this that might
> > possibly work, so that ultimately an undoctored literal number, when
> > applied to an int8 column, could find an index?
>
> I think it's a dead end.  What I was playing with this afternoon was
> removing the int8-and-int4 comparison operators from pg_operator.
> It works as far as making "int8col = 42" do the right thing, but I'm
> not sure yet about side-effects.

Is it possible to follow data type upgrade model in planner?  Something like in
C/C++ where data types are promoted upwards to find out better plan?

int2->int4->int8->float4->float8 types.

 That could be a clean solution..

just a thought..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Hlade's Law:    If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person --    they
will find an easier way to do it.