Re: About pgAdmin III - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: About pgAdmin III
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> Hi Dmitry,
> This is an enhancement I would like to see in pgAdmin III for function
> and view definitions.

Hi Dave, hi Dmitry,

I strongly disagree for several reasons.

IMHO the dialog can be resized large enough for view and function
editing, it's not so much space that's wasted compared to an edit only
window. If this is still felt too small, the function/view definition
exceeds the scope of the property dialog; use a script edited with the
query tool instead. Property dialogs are for ad-hoc work, not lengthy
development.

Additionally, popping up windows should be avoided as much as possible.
In this case, it would be even worse, because the window would be modal,
inhibiting any work in pgAdmin3. I accept this only if it's not
avoidable (table needs this for columns and constraints), and if the
work done in the modal window is completed quickly (which contradicts
the purpose of the discussed edit window).

Regards,
Andreas