Re: Getting the return type right for SETOF - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: Getting the return type right for SETOF
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 30 Aug 2003 at 13:59, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm playing with SETOF on functions.  But I can't get the return type
> > correct.  What have I missed?  A cast?
> >
> > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION elementGet (text) RETURNS SETOF
> > element_type AS '
> >
> > select 1,
> >        \'test\',
> >        \'F\'
> >        \'A\',
> >        FALSE,
> >        FALSE
> > '
> >     LANGUAGE sql stable;
> > ERROR:  function declared to return element_type returns "unknown"
> > instead of text at column 2
>
> I think you'll need to explicitly make the three text columns text rather
> than just a plain literal (so ''test''::text for example)

Right you are!  Here is the real function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION elementGet (text) RETURNS SETOF
element_type AS '

select id,      name::text,      directory_file_flag::text,      status::text,      case when IsPort(
Pathname_ID($1))IS NULL THEN FALSE ELSE

TRUE END,      case when IsCategory(Pathname_ID($1)) IS NULL THEN FALSE ELSE
TRUE END FROM elementWHERE id = PathName_ID($1);
'   LANGUAGE sql stable;

select * from elementGet('ports/security/logcheck');
 id   |   name   | type | status | iscategory | isport

And it's fast too:
explain analyse select * from elementGet('ports/security/logcheck');
QUERYPLAN

-----------------------------------------Function Scan on elementget  (cost=0.00..12.50 rows=1000 width=102)
(actual time=64.28..64.28 rows=1 loops=1)Total runtime: 64.35 msec

Thank you.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/