Re: Problems with transactions and sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Problems with transactions and sequences
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28 Aug 2003 at 8:22, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> if one gives a value for the seirial field, the trigger for the serial
> on that table doesn't generate another value?

If you are going to get sequence value first and insert it later, you can just
declare it int8 rather than serial..:-)

Would that solve problem?

Actually I have no idea if you can insert specific value in a serial field. I
wouldn't be surprised if it works as intended but don't have a postgresql
installation handy here. (Working in windows right now..)

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Immutability, Three Rules of:    (1)  If a tarpaulin can flap, it will.    (2)  If a
small boy can get dirty, he will.    (3)  If a teenager can go out, he will.