Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 26 Aug 2003 at 8:12, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 03:06, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > If linux isn't limited to intel, probably yes. Of course, that does not carry
>
> I think the worry is more about the kernel than anything else.
> After all, an 8-way 2.8GHz Xeon w/ 16GB RAM and a bunch of 64-bit
> 66MHz PCI Ultra320 SCSI controllers or SAN HBAs can handle that much
> database, I think.

Hmm.. I would say a 64 bit CPU will make a difference as well.

I am impressed by 2.6. Yesterday I installed 2.6.0-test4. Full postgresql CVS
head compile took 9 min 18 sec on 2.4.20 and 7 min 14 sec on 2.6.0-test4.
Impressive.

I am going to run pgbench on it. That will add another dimention to 7.3.4 v/s
7.4beta1 performance bouts.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Bizoos, n.:    The millions of tiny individual bumps that make up a basketball.        --
 Rich Hall, "Sniglets"