Re: hardware performance and some more

From: Shridhar Daithankar
Subject: Re: hardware performance and some more
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

hardware performance and some more  (Kasim Oztoprak, )
 Re: hardware performance and some more  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
 Re: hardware performance and some more  (Kasim Oztoprak, )
  Re: hardware performance and some more  (Ron Johnson, )
 Re: hardware performance and some more  ("Roman Fail", )
 Re: hardware performance and some more  (Kasim Oztoprak, )
 Re: hardware performance and some more  (William Yu, )
  Re: hardware performance and some more  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
 Re: hardware performance and some more  (Kasim Oztoprak, )
  Re: hardware performance and some more  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
  Re: hardware performance and some more  (Ron Johnson, )
   Re: hardware performance and some more  (Josh Berkus, )

On 25 Jul 2003 at 16:38, Kasim Oztoprak wrote:
> this is kind of directory assistance application. actually the select statements are not
> very complex. the database contain 25 million subscriber records and the operators searches
> for the subscriber numbers or addresses. there are not much update operations actually the
> update ratio is approximately %0.1 .
>
> i will use at least 4 machines each having 4 cpu with the speed of 2.8 ghz xeon processors.
> and suitable memory capacity with it.

Are you going to duplicate the data?

If you are going to have 3000 sql statements per second, I would suggest,

1. Get quad CPU. You probably need that horsepower
2. Use prepared statements and stored procedures to avoid parsing overhead.

I doubt you would need cluster of machines though. If you run it thr. a pilot
program, that would give you an idea whether or not you need a cluster..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Default, n.:    The hardware's, of course.