Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 21 Jul 2003 at 22:35, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> >
> > e.g. Virtual private database? What is that? Unless I know what to expect out
> > of that functionality, how can anybody offer an opinion or material on that?
> >
> > A link explaining what is virtual private database would be great there. Like
> > http://www.oracle-base.com/Articles/8i/VirtualPrivateDatabases(VPD).asp.
>
> *That* is called a Virtual Private Database? It is just a fancy
> way to do row level security on a single table in the database.
> That article should be called "How to fake an updateable view
> with check option.".

Well, no matter how you and me thinks this is not very relevant or of any
practical use, tons of people use it/will use it because oracle offers it to
them.

Sigh... there are quite a lot of things that are not ideal. Definition of ideal
is one of them..:-)

Bye
 Shridhar

--
First law of debate:    Never argue with a fool.  People might not know the
difference.