Re: Hyperthreading or not? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Hyperthreading or not?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 16 Jul 2003 at 9:07, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > PS: Is really faster postgresql compiled with Intel compiler ?
>
> Note that since most people use gcc, any problems caused by the Intel
> compiler might take more time to get fixed.

Last I heard was that gcc was pretty neck to neck with intel compiler with gcc
3.2.2 or later. Besides intel compiler yield performance gain on CPU intesive
applications such as mathematical calculations and as such.

While it would provide some performance benefit, I doubt how much and in how
many cases for a database app. like postgresql. It's not a CPU hog in the first
place, most of the times.

ByeShridhar

--
Bones: "The man's DEAD, Jim!"