Re: Oh no!! - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Oh no!!
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
Later we might add some animations (spinning thing in right side of the
toolbar, and vacuum needs something too)
The idea behind the query window is that all input is in the upper half,
and all output is in the lower. Messages are mostly duplicated now,
(message page and status line), and triplicated with that msgwindow. I
just changed frmQuery so that in case no result set is returned the
message page is selected.

>>Additionally, the message page is
>>not a mere logging window, but
>>receives the messages and notices for the currently executed
>>query (we
>>already have a logging mechanism...). That's why it has to be cleared
>>before each execution. The query being executed is in the
>>query page, so
>>why repeat it? If you're repeatedly executing many big
>>queries, like I
>>do, you won't see any more what's really important.
>>

>It shows the history of what you've been doing and waht happened -
>particularly useful when fine tuning queries etc. The current log window
>has never shown more than 3 lines to me, and that could easily be
>reduced without losing content. I would far rather see a rolling history
>of what I've done and what the result was, than a couple of lines of
>text that might just as well be in the status bar.
>
>Again, please put it back, and add a 'verbose' output option for those
>of us that want to see that sort of thing.

This is becoming quite an option grave.... Don't like that either. It
looks as if we couldn't decide what's working and what's not. Options
should merely be for dividing beginners from advanced users. I'd really
like to stick to a consistent behaviour.
You might complain that the logging facility isn't sufficient for you,
but that may not mean that the message window doesn't reflect what's
going on with the *current* query. Then we'd need an additional logging
page. And the possibility to save it to disk. And a clear option. And ...?

Regards,
Andreas