Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]
Date
List pgsql-general
Ian Linwood wrote:
> Hello Jan,
>
> Friday, June 6, 2003, 9:12:24 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I think Open Source means more than that. It means especially Open for
>> ideas, open for input. Open for people and companies to join the team,
>> contribute and take part in the decision making. That all is totally
>> impossible in the MySQL project. Not because it could not be done, but
>> because the owner of the commercial product MySQL does not want it to
>> happen.
>
> Although this is an entirely valid opinion. I don't 100% agree with
> this point of view.
>
> Just because a project is open source (OS), doesn't mean that all and
> sundry should have an input.
>
> OS projects should be open to offers of contribution, but projects should
> reserve the right to reject that contribution.

Hell no, I didn't mean that! We sure reserve the right to reject
contributions and make frequently use of that right.

That the PostgreSQL CORE team does not "as such" take strong positions
in technical questions should not indicate a lack of leadership. I think
for the current size of the project and the very mature and civilized
culture of the actual development community, this form of rather passive
leadership is a good fit.

Jan