Re: Application Development with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From paul butler
Subject Re: Application Development with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-novice
From:               Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>
To:                 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>,
    PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice@postgresql.org>
Subject:            Re: [NOVICE] Application Development with PostgreSQL
Date sent:          Sun, 4 May 2003 20:37:03 -0700
While I do not claim to be an authority on these matters, I would have to agree with
Josh on this one, its almost trivial to set up a decent VPN these days. The question, as
always, is how much time you or your client want to spend on security and ergonomics.

A web app can host the application and provide a repository for any helper applications
that might be needed, (say a grid applet or whatever). The thin client that the browser
offers may not be ideal, but it is exteremely versatile and robust. You just have to weigh
the requirements and choose the right horse for the course.

What ie5/php/postgresql+a reliable network connection offers out of the box is
ridiculously good, and should make it a combination worth considering. (If you want tidy
reporting, grab the pdf library). I'm a big python fan, but building the client side from
scratch, maintaining  and distributing it is never simple. As for caching  look up lists, if
you gzip things, it shouldn't take any longer than downloading a gif.

The wonderful thing is that the thin client is not just here, it's everywhere. This leaves
the developer one less thing to worry about and allows them to concentrate on
correctness, and finally performance(which is always the straw man of computing
disagreements).
Thats my two bob's worth of opinion.
Cheers
Paul Butler