Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Hoffmann
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Mascari wrote:
> cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com wrote:
>>I wouldn't be too sanguine about that, from two perspectives:
>>
>> a) There's a moving target, here, in that Microsoft seems to be
>>    looking for the next "new thing" to be the elimination of
>>    the use of "files" in favor of the filesystem being treated
>>    as a database.
>

> They ought to get their database up to speed first, it seems to
> me. I agree Microsoft's view of data management is a moving
> target.

Not to mention the fact that there's a significant number of NT 4
servers still out there -- what is that, 7 years old?  A lot of places
aren't upgrading because they don't need to & don't want to shell out
the cash.  (And it should go without saying that Microsoft is none too
happy with it.)  With Windows 2K3 just coming out and who knows how much
longer until the next version (or ther version after that, who knows
when these "features" will actually show up), there's still a
significant window in there for conventional database servers,
especially for the price conscious out there.

----
Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com