Re: Complex database for testing, U.S. Census Tiger/UA - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Complex database for testing, U.S. Census Tiger/UA
Date
Re: Complex database for testing, U.S. Census Tiger/UA  (cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com)
List pgsql-hackers
mlw wrote:

> The U.S. Census provides a database of street polygons and other data
> about landmarks, elevation, etc. This was discussed in a separate thread.
>
> The main URL is here:
> http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html

While yes, the tiger database (or better it's content) is interesting, I
don't think that it can be counted as a "complex database". Just that
something is big doesn't mean that.

> My loader was written for the 2000 version, the 2002 version has some
> difference, but it should be easy enough to ad the fields.

OT:

Just out of curiosity, do you plan more on this? I was playing around
with the 2000 version a while back, but the Garmin GPS units
unfortunately use a proprietary map format, so one cannot generate his
own detail maps for download. The waypoint and route data protocol is
well known though.

Jan