Re: Complex database for testing, U.S. Census Tiger/UA - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From pgsql@mohawksoft.com
Subject Re: Complex database for testing, U.S. Census Tiger/UA
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> mlw wrote:
>>
>> The U.S. Census provides a database of street polygons and other data
>> about landmarks, elevation, etc. This was discussed in a separate
>> thread.
>>
>> The main URL is here:
>> http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html
>
> While yes, the tiger database (or better it's content) is interesting,
> I don't think that it can be counted as a "complex database". Just that
> something is big doesn't mean that.

I guess you are right, but there are a lot of related tables. I wouldn't
call it simple, though. It can get huge, however.

>> My loader was written for the 2000 version, the 2002 version has some
>> difference, but it should be easy enough to ad the fields.
>
> OT:
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you plan more on this? I was playing around
> with the 2000 version a while back, but the Garmin GPS units
> unfortunately use a proprietary map format, so one cannot generate his
> own detail maps for download. The waypoint and route data protocol is
> well known though.

I'm not sure what a Garmin GPS unit is, but the TigerUA DB uses longitude
and latitude. Any reasonable geographical system must somehow map to lat/long.

Actually, I am going to download the latest version and get it installed on
a system. There is a project I plan to work on in the near future, after all
the other crap I gotta do, that will make use of the data.