Re: Who puts the Windows binaries on the FTP server? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Who puts the Windows binaries on the FTP server?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> It's rumoured that Justin Clift once said:
>
>>It's a simplified installation package of 7.3.1 with cygwin.  Put it
>>together so we can get a feel for the packaging issues we'll need to
>>take into account for the proper release of a 7.4 Windows version.
>
> Yeah, but it won't will it? You're seeing all the normal Cygwin issues but
> nicely hidden away I'll bet. Installing the native version will be easy,
> as we won't be messing around with Cywin or CygIPC. I would expect to be
> able to build an installer in about 15 minutes excluding the time taken to
> make the installer's UI look purdy...
> Regards, Dave.

There's more to making PostgreSQL work on Windows than just the "pure
packaging" issues.  We still have to figure out how we're going to
handle stuff like needed grep, sed, etc just for PostgreSQL to run
(they're required by initdb).

We're also going to need to have a good idea of what other nice features
could/should be packaged along with it.  i.e.:
 + a GUI to control some things (installation/deinstallation of the   PostgreSQL Service, perhaps vacuuming, etc).
 + Shortcuts in the Program menu to things (PostgreSQL website(s),   online documentation, etc)
 + Which parts of the installation should be mandatory, and which should   be optional.  i.e. Base server files should
bemandatory, HTML docs   should be optional, perhaps include the ODBC driver as optional too.

Things like that.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi