Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 20 Feb 2003 at 13:03, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> And the result? It has taken a total of 1h 45m to generate a copy! Given
> that we are rebuilding the table *WITHOUT* the large gist indexes on our
> dev version, I guess that it would only be a matter of several hours
> before we can rebuild the indexes back up on the table and be using it
> again.

OK. From last thread, there was one more bell of caution. Having foreign key
constraints.

What I would suggest you to do  is as follows.

beign

create new table as select into..
create any necessary indexes on new table.
rename old table as something else.
rename new table as original table

commit

drop old table.

It should take care of mos practical problems that I can think of, right now.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Acceptance testing:    An unsuccessful attempt to find bugs.