Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Luke Lonergan
Subject Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date
Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?  (David Lang <dlang@invendra.net>)
Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-performance
David,

> now hot-swap may not be supported on all interface types, that may be what
> you have run into, but with SCSI or SATA you should be able to hot-swap
> with the right controller.

That's actually the problem - Linux hot swap is virtually non-functional for SCSI.  You can write into the proper
placesin /proc, then remove and rescan to get a new drive up, but I've found that the resulting OS state is flaky.
Thisis true of the latest 2.6 kernels and LSI and Adaptec SCSI controllers.

The problems I've seen are  with Linux, not the controllers.

- Luke