Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Lang
Subject Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> David,
>
>> now hot-swap may not be supported on all interface types, that may be what
>> you have run into, but with SCSI or SATA you should be able to hot-swap
>> with the right controller.
>
> That's actually the problem - Linux hot swap is virtually non-functional for SCSI.  You can write into the proper
placesin /proc, then remove and rescan to get a new drive up, but I've found that the resulting OS state is flaky.
Thisis true of the latest 2.6 kernels and LSI and Adaptec SCSI controllers.

> The problems I've seen are  with Linux, not the controllers.

Thanks for the clarification, I knew that PATA didn't do hotswap, and I've
seen discussions on the linux-kernel list about SATA hotswap being worked
on, but I thought that scsi handled it. how recent a kernel have you had
problems with?

David Lang