Re: Good/Bad RAID and SCSI controllers? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Good/Bad RAID and SCSI controllers?
Date
Re: Good/Bad RAID and SCSI controllers?  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am hoping to start a thread where users post their experiences with
> various RAID  and SCSI controllers running Postgres.  When completed,
> I'll post it somewhere on Techdocs with a big disclaimer. I'll start it
> off:

Sounds like a really good idea.  There's already the beginnings of a page on Techdocs for this too.  ;-)

Here's two thoughts that might be helpful, although they're not RAID.

Advansys UW SCSI controller: Brain damaged.  Won't let standard Seagate Cheetah 10k RPM drives operating at all without

having SCSI Disconnection turned off, and speed is forced to a maximum throughput of 6MB/s.  100% not recommended.

Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 controller, BIOS version 3.10.0: Seems nice.  Everything works well, most stuff is automatically

configured, supported by just about everything.  Haven't done throughput benchmarks though.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> MYLEX AcceleRAID 170:  Not supported under Linux 2.4 kernels.
>   Performance under RAID 5 with 3 Maxtor UW SCSI disks good on read
> operations (slightly better than a single SCSI disk) but on large write
> operations poor, similar to low-end IDE disks in having disk-acccess
> bottlenecks. Suspected in our installation of locking up on very large
> simultaneous read/write operations, such as data tranformations on
> tables over 1 million records. (cause of lockup not firmly determined
> yet). (Josh Berkus 11/2002)
>
> -Josh Berkus

- Indira Gandhi