Re: Let's create a release team - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Let's create a release team
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Dan,

It's been mentioned a few times on the Advocacy and Marketing list that
we should put together a process for ensuring that all the parts
necessary for a release occur properly and smoothly.

***********

Source code

  - Initial packaging of the new releases' source code

Docs

  - Confirm with Peter that the Docs are 100% correct in the new source
archive

RPM's & SRPM's

  - Co-ordinate with Lamar to have these ready before the general
announcement?

Press Releases for the General Public (multiple languages)

  - Advocacy and Marketing guys should put together a Press Release
intended for the General Public, and have it reviewed/confirmed by the
Hackers before getting it ready

  - Robert (?) should arrange translation of this "confirmed good" Press
Release into multiple languages

Press Release for the Technically Minded (?)

  - Advocacy and Marketing guys (?) should put together a Press Release
intended for the Hackers and other Technically Minded folk.  Should
definitely be reviewed for accuracy by the Hackers before releasing it

Websites

  - Ensure all of the required documentation mentions, links, release
info, etc is put in place on the website

Mailout

  - Email the appropriate Press Releases to the General Public, and to
the Technically Minded groups

Feedback

  - Find out what could have been done better, and figure out how to
make it so for the next one if appropriate

***********

That was just what came to mind and there's probably more.  Each part
should probably be something that can be broken down into the necessary
parts so that everyone can take care of the bits they're into.  I
suppose it would be good to have this listed somewhere so that people
can make suggestions.

Just whipped up a page listing these main points here, and everyone has
the ability to make suggestions/edits directly onto that page:

http://advocacy.postgresql.org/documents/ReleaseProcess

Hopefully that's helpful.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,