Re: [HACKERS] Let's create a release team - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Let's create a release team
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 10 December 2002 00:24, Justin Clift wrote:
> RPM's & SRPM's

>   - Co-ordinate with Lamar to have these ready before the general
> announcement?

As I am merely a volunteer in this, the availability of RPMs is directly
impacted by my workload.  There are several times during the year that my
workload goes from being just difficult to absolutely swamping.  These times
are typically during mid February through early March; late August through
late September; and November through January.

See, not only am I the 'Chief Engineer' for several radio stations, but I am
also the 'IT Director' for WGCR, and the 'Network Administrator' for PARI.
The Chief Engineer duties include generator work, transmitter work, and
studio work -- and in winter there is alot of the generator/transmitter work
in the mix.  The 'IT Director' hat includes eradicating virus infections,
unlicensed software, etc.  This is currently my busiest area, as we try to
put our entire fundraising system on our intranet (backed by PostgreSQL, of
course).  While I say 'we,' I really should say 'I,' as I am the entirety of
the programming team in this project.  Fortunately I have access to an
interface design consultant and a good web designer.

I was able to get the RPMs out when I did almost entirely due to the ice storm
that paralyzed the Carolinas last week -- our particular area did not get hit
hard with ice, but got mostly snow, which then changed to mostly rain later
in the day.  So we didn't lose power -- and so I was able to get them done,
since I was unable to travel to work.

Typically, I would try to track the betas and release candidates (like I did
with previous releases, to varying degrees), and with the 24 hour notice we
all get on this list I can have a general release RPM ready.  During this
cycle I found myself excessively swamped by work -- so I was unable to
generate RPM's until the general release.  For that I apologize.  I cannot
guarantee that it won't happen again; but I will try to prevent its
recurrence.

For the 7.0 cycle, during the maintenance releases, I was retained by Great
Bridge to produce RPMs -- that ensured that I spent time on them for that
cycle.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio