Re: [Fwd: Questions on 7.3 version for LinuxWorld] - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [Fwd: Questions on 7.3 version for LinuxWorld]
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 23:54, Justin Clift wrote:
>
>>The "92 scheme specification" is the American National Standards
>>Organisation (ANSI) SQL92 standard, which specifies the SQL query
>>language used by most major relational databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle,
>>DB2, Sybase, etc).
>

> "SQL query language" is redundant.
>
> Not sure why there's a need to mention ANSI, as it's not as if there are
> competing SQL92 standards :-) And name-dropping standards bodies is a
> bit pretentious, IMHO.

Rats'  Thought it was better to go for name-recognition here.

> The "92 scheme specification" isn't SQL92 (as your first sentence
> implies), it's a part of SQL92.

Ok, my misunderstanding.  Sorry about that.  Haven't yet gotten around
to touching schema's yet, although it's going to have to be soon.  :-)

>>PostgreSQL has actively been adding ANSI SQL features for many years
>>and is now one of the most ANSI SQL compliant databases in existence.
>>[is this true?]
>

> Sounds pretty dubious to me.

Wasn't sure either.  Some time last year someone made a comment like
that, and I'm wondering if there's any way of testing it's validity.

>>Maybe we should use this opportunity to build anticipation?  Something
>>like "Because we'll be adding native support for Windows, Point in Time
>>recovery, and other advanced features in PostgreSQL 7.4, our initial
>>target date is around April 2003".
>

> I still think mentioning a release date, even as an"initial target", is
> not appropriate, particularly since it hasn't been discussed yet on
> -hackers.

Didn't Bruce say that 7.4 was 6 months away or less?  From memory we
were hoping for a 3-4 month period until releasing 7.4, mostly just
adding in the Windows native port and PITR, but that is delayed due to
the wait for PeerDirect's new version of the Windows code.

> But I'm fine with mentioning some of the possible features in 7.4,
> *provided* that you make it clear that those are tentative plans.

Ok.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift