Re: Directions in Advocacy - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Directions in Advocacy
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Wow,

Devrim Gunduz has volunteered to do stuff on the website backend of the
Advocacy site which will be really helpful.  My time for touching it has
been reduced to very little, and that's why theres such a lack of
updates recently.  :-(

First thing we should probably do is get our core values, mission
statement, and then goals decided upon.

Lucas sounds like he has a good understanding of what makes media
contacts take notice of things, and that would be really valuable.

Gavin has some potentially worthy ideas, and is putting in heaps of time
in thinking about them and raising them for discussion.

Robert and Josh have been putting in large amounts of time for
co-ordinating and updating stuff too.

You guys are all amazing.  :-)

 From memory, someone started suggesting ideas for the core values we
should operate on too, but I didn't get time to look at it properly.

As a thought, now that there are a bunch of good, talented people
around, would this be the best time for us to work out who is supposed
to be doing what?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Lucas Alexander wrote:
>>I see the need for three things to happen immediately:
>>
>>1) Deciding the tone and style of the website.
>>
>>2) Making the website easy to change.
>>
>>3) Getting a TODO list made.
>

> These are definitely important, but we cannot underestimate the importance
> of starting to establish contact with the "outside" world. Once a consensus
> is reached on the mission statement and goals for the group, we need to
> start an unrelenting PR campaign.
>
> I work for a magazine publishing company, and our editors are constantly
> getting press releases from companies announcing things that might not be
> all that important, but they serve to keep the companies' names visible, and
> we should do the same thing. We need to establish a contact list for IT
> media professionals and frequently contact them. We can start by getting
> them a media kit, and then we should send them press releases at least once
> a month, but maybe even more often if we can send something of substance.
>
> I was a journalist before I decided to "start earning real money," so I'd
> like to volunteer to coordinate the media kit development and a PR campaign
> like I've described.
>
> I'm new to this list, so I don't really know how the process for getting
> something like this started goes, but I think this approach could work very
> well.
>
> Lucas Alexander

- Indira Gandhi