Re: MS-server <-> Ppostgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: MS-server <-> Ppostgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21 Nov 2002 at 13:35, Francois Sauterey wrote:

> I plan to extract/copy about 120.000 lines from a MS SQL 7 server database
> (on a NT machione) to a postresql database on a Linux machine (debian/woody).
> But what a pity : I obtain (after so many tests, so many compilation with
> so many different options) a copy of about 1200 lines/minute ;~{
> And horror, I plan to make the same thing  whith a 3.000.000 lines database.
> Any idea ?

Yes.. Copy inside a transaction. Put something like 10000 lines in a
transaction and then commit. See what speed difference that would make.

If possible use copy. That's fastest. It would insert all of them in one
transaction..

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Battle, n.:    A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that    will not
yield to the tongue.        -- Ambrose Bierce